THE JAPANESE GOVERNMENT GRANTS US$1,104,672 FOR EIGHT GRASS-ROOTS PROJECTS FOR EDUCATION AND HEALTH SECTORS
H.E. Mr. Mikio NUMATA, Ambassador of the Embassy of Japan and Chairmen of the Committees from State and Region concerned, signed the grant contracts for eight projects today, under its Grant Assistance for Grass-roots Human Security Projects(GGP) Scheme, totaling US$1,104,672 as listed below:--
- 1. The Project for Construction of Kyar Inn Gyi Village Basic Education Middle School in Kyar Inn Seik Kyi Township, Kayin State (US$121,902)
- 2. The Project for Construction of Kyunkyar Village Basic Education Branch High School in Pantanaw Township, Ayeyarwady Region (US$113,365)
- 3. The Project for Construction of Two Basic Education Primary Schools in Kyaunggone Township, Ayeyarwady Region (US$112,859)
- 4. The Project for Construction of Rural Health Center in Ashay Bet Village in Taunggup Township, Rakhine State (US$103,710)
- 5. The Project for Construction of Rural Health Center in Thaung Pauk Village, Gwa Township, Rakhine State (US$105,985)
- 6. The Project for Construction of Rural Health Center in Zalun Village, Thandwe Township, Rakhine State (US$106,910)
- 7. The Project for Construction of Isolation Unit Building at Lashio General Hospital in Lashio Township, Shan State (US$193,894)
- 8. The Project for Construction of Kun Long Basic Education High School in Kun Long Township, Shan State (US$246,047)
Kyar Inn Seik Kyi in Kayin State, Pantanaw and Kyaunggone in Ayeyarwady Region, Taungup, Gwa and Thandwe in Rakhine State and Lashio and Kun Long in Shan State are hometowns for various ethnic minorities, such as Kayin, Rakhine, and Shan including Myanmar.
Residents of villages in Taunggup, Gwa, and Thandwe Townships, who are living away from good medical services, will benefit from the new Rural Health Centers equipped with medical equipment and facilities funded by the Government of Japan. The fund will be used to construct three new Rural Health Centers in Taunggup, Gwa and Thandwe Townships and one isolation unit building at Lashio Township General Hospital with necessary medical equipment.
The four school projects in Kyar Inn Seik Kyi Township in Kayin State, Pantanaw and Kyaunggone Townships in Ayeyarwady Region and Kun Long Township in Shan State will benefit 2,050 students, who are now studying under insufficient learning environment in old school buildings. The fund provided by the Government of Japan will be used for constructing new R.C buildings with sufficient classrooms, toilets and purchasing of school furniture.
The Government of Japan has assisted 677 various grass-roots projects in Myanmar under this GGP scheme since 1993. Among them, 305 school construction projects, 174 health care projects, 133 public welfare and environment projects and 65 others are included. It is expected that these assistance will further strengthen existing friendly relations between Japan and Myanmar. This year marks the 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relation between the two countries.